They may meet your efforts with hesitation or resistance, but you should rebuilding your life after addiction hopeful that they will eventually come around with open arms. When we think of drug and alcohol addictions, our minds often immediately zero in on the physical damage done to our bodies throughout the course of the addiction cycle. Just as important, however, is the damage done to the families and loved ones of people who have gone through addiction.
- Depending on the person, addiction treatment can look like many things.
- Be proud of the work you did in treatment and what you are working for now; let go of negative self-talk.
- One of the causes of this destruction is the erratic behavior of addicts that often leads to fear and mistrust in their relationships.
It is difficult for loved ones to watch their friend, family member, or partner go through personal struggles. Often, the drug addict will seem bitter and less affectionate toward others. There’s a reason programs like AA, NA, and Al-Anon are so effective. Us addicts and alcoholics can lean on others who understand our struggles. The relationships that support your recovery will allow you to attract healthy people into, or back into your life.
What to Do If You Relapse
I cannot recommend 12 Keys at the River enough for those struggling with addiction. For the vast majority of people who are addicted to alcohol, the first big decision they must make is to become willing to seek treatment for their addiction. The second decision is of vital importance as well—choosing the right alcohol rehab to se … In all three serious, chronic illnesses, relapse can hover around 50 percent, yet many people still harbor the unfortunate myth that drug addicts “always” relapse.
- Many people who’ve struggled with addiction feel significant shame.
- Getting enough rest will help your mood, concentration levels, alertness, immune system, and much more.
- But one aspect of caring for yourself during recovery should not be overlooked.
- If a major change seems like too much, break it down into smaller acts, and choose to do one a day or one a week, whichever you feel you’ll follow through on.
- Team sports like soccer are a fantastic way to meet people who are invested in a healthier lifestyle, or you could just take up jogging, walking, or cycling in nature.
- Addiction is rooted in negative emotions and core beliefs rooted in childhood.
It’s also important to remember that substance abuse disorders result in a loss of trust. To repair the relationship, you have to repair the trust. It will take time, and the amount of time varies from person to person.
Don’t neglect your support groups
It will include ways to prevent relapse, stay engaged in recovery, and improve functioning in other areas of your life. It can be tough going through rehab and adjusting yourself to a new sober life. Try to reconnect with your friends and family and find activities that will help you be productive. Be patient with yourself, your family, and your friends as well. They went through your addictive phase as much as you did.
Once the dust settles after going through rehab, you can start reconnecting with family and rebuilding relationships after addiction. Having friends who drink alcohol or use drugs can cause you to relapse. Try to find sober friends who understand what you have been through, and help you start rebuilding your new life. If you go out with your friends, ask them to not drink around you or just avoid going to places where you may get access to drugs and alcohol. The right friends will support you and help you stay sober. If you or a loved one is suffering from a mental health disorder or are in need of support, contact us today.
Rehab Aftercare Programs at Sunrise House
They will help you identify what your https://ecosoberhouse.com/ program for substance abuse should cover based on your personal needs. Getting sober and staying in a rehab is a hard enough process on its own but staying sober and making a fresh start after rehab is perhaps even more difficult. After rehab, as you come to terms with your addiction, you’ll realize that you’re unable to control other people’s feelings and emotions with respect to your experience. They did not have the same healing opportunity as you did in rehab — they continued living their same lives as you were going through the early stages of your recovery.
- We publish material that is researched, cited, edited and reviewed by licensed medical professionals.
- Most addicts are not concerned with a balanced meal or getting some active time in every day.
- Drug addiction affects the immune system of the body and makes it weak.
- Especially for those young adults who lived with their families while struggling with addiction, family members are some of the most commonly affected by substance abuse.
- Their only requirement is you must have at least 48 hours clean from drugs and alcohol.
- Recovery from substance abuse and addiction is a lifelong process and can come in many forms.